Water is a daily essential for human survival and is used for many different purposes in a typical household, such as drinking, cooking, cleaning, and bathing. These reasons are why a home water treatment system is crucial today — it ensures that the water you and your family are using is safe, clean, and free from harmful contaminants.
Home water treatment systems make it possible to improve your water quality, remove unpleasant odors and tastes from your water, improve appliance efficiency, protect your plumbing, and can even save you money in the long run.
This article will go into more depth on the benefits of a home water treatment system and why you should consider one for your home.
1 – Improving Water Quality
Improving water quality is one of the main reasons why you should consider getting a home water filtration system. Many contaminants in tap water, such as bacteria, viruses, and chemicals, can be harmful to your health if consumed.
A water treatment system can remove these impurities, making tap water safer to drink and use. Some of the common contaminants that a water treatment system can remove include the following:
- Microorganisms: bacteria and viruses can be present in tap water and can cause illnesses if consumed. A water treatment system with a UV sterilizer or reverse osmosis filter can effectively kill or remove these microorganisms.
- Heavy metals: lead, mercury, and other heavy metals can be found in tap water, especially if you have older plumbing. A water treatment system with a carbon filter or reverse osmosis filter can remove these contaminants.
- Chlorine: chlorine is often added to tap water as a disinfectant but can leave an unpleasant taste and smell. A water treatment system with a carbon filter can remove chlorine from your tap water.
- Pesticides and herbicides: these chemicals can be found in tap water if you live near agricultural areas. A water treatment system with a reverse osmosis filter can effectively remove these contaminants.
A home water treatment system can provide you with cleaner, safer, and better-tasting water and give you peace of mind knowing that you and your family are protected from harmful contaminants.
2 – Removing Unpleasant Odors and Tastes
Removing unpleasant odors and tastes from tap water is another critical reason to consider getting a home water treatment system. If your tap water has a sour taste or smell, it can make it unappealing to drink and use, and it can also affect the taste of your food and drinks. A water treatment system can eliminate these issues by removing the impurities causing the bad taste or smell.
Some common causes of unpleasant odors and tastes in tap water include:
- Chlorine: as mentioned previously, Chlorine is often added to tap water as a disinfectant, but it can leave an unpleasant taste and smell. A water treatment system with a carbon filter can remove chlorine from your tap water and improve the taste and smell.
- Sulfur: sulfur can give water a rotten egg smell. A water treatment system with a sulfur filter can remove this odor.
- Iron: iron can give water a metallic taste and yellow or brown color. A water treatment system with an iron filter can remove this taste and color.
- Bacteria: bacteria can cause a musty or earthy smell in the water. A water treatment system with a UV sterilizer or reverse osmosis filter can effectively kill or remove these microorganisms and the odor.
By removing these impurities, a water treatment system can provide you with clean, fresh-tasting water that is free from unpleasant odors and tastes. This system can make your water more enjoyable to drink and use and improve the taste of your food and drinks.
3 – Improving the Efficiency of Appliances
Hard water, which contains high levels of minerals like calcium and magnesium, can cause mineral buildup in appliances that use water, such as water heaters and dishwashers. This buildup can decrease the efficiency of these appliances, resulting in higher energy bills, and can also shorten the lifespan of the machines.
Some common ways that a water treatment system can improve the efficiency of appliances include:
- Water softeners: a water softener uses an ion exchange process to remove calcium and magnesium ions from the water, which are the main minerals that cause hard water. This process can prevent mineral buildup in appliances and improve their efficiency.
- Reverse osmosis: reverse osmosis is a process that uses a semi-permeable membrane to remove impurities and dissolved minerals, including those found in hard water.
- Neutralizing filters: these types of filters can neutralize the acidity in water, making it less aggressive and less likely to cause mineral buildup in appliances.
By improving the efficiency of your appliances, a home water treatment system can ultimately save you money on energy bills and prolong your appliance’s lifespan.
4 – Protecting Plumbing
Protecting plumbing is another crucial reason to consider getting a home water treatment system. As previously mentioned, hard water can cause plumbing damage over time by forming mineral buildup in pipes. This buildup, known as scale, can clog pipes, reduce water flow, and increase the risk of leaks and burst pipes — this can result in costly repairs and replacements.
A water treatment system can prevent this damage by removing the minerals that cause hard water, preventing mineral buildup in pipes. As a result, a home water treatment system can provide extra protection for your plumbing and ultimately save you money on repairs and replacements.
Have Questions About Home Water Treatment Systems? Call the Professionals at Salisbury Plumbing
Save money and enjoy healthier water without the added chemicals. The affordable home water treatment systems at Salisbury Plumbing allow you to enjoy clean and clear water without breaking the bank. Call us at 385-375-1207 or fill out our online form for a free estimate.